Thursday, November 22, 2012

Gratitude


(Thanks to my talented friend, Susan Cannon, for this awesome image!)

I read an amazing article a couple of weeks ago about adopting an attitude of being grateful. I'm trying to let the lady's words change my life, but hey, it's difficult some days to be especially grateful, right?! ;)

Today (Thanksgiving), I'm doing my best to implement her suggestions.

It would have been easy yesterday to be annoyed when I got in my truck and discovered that my rearview mirror had fallen and was on the dashboard! Apparently, after all these years, the glue that held it on the glass gave way and failed. :(

Instead, I talked to God, then to myself, and decided instead to be grateful that my truck still worked just fine, and I was indeed able to drive to see Heather for a haircut -- and to hear her good news that she was anxious to share! I was further grateful that I was able to drive to Buster's house to get a huge pan of fresh-picked collards he had for my wife.

Get the idea? ;)

I was grateful that AutoZone had a kit to re-install my mirror on the windshield, for only $5.49 (I'm anxious to go outside this morning and see if it's still attached!!!)

Yes, life is full of challenges, big and small. I can't do much to prevent them. But I dang sure can modify my attitude about those challenges as I encounter them!

I'll keep you updated on how this transformation is working ... or perhaps you'll see it reflected in my writing, I dunno.

Anyway ... to anyone reading this on a fourth Thursday in November: God bless you, and Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. I would like to suggest reading the book "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voscamp. Available at Lifeway. Very flowery poetic language and probably a little more for the feminine gender but you might appreciate it with your artistic eye. I read it this spring and I am a happier person because of it. Thanksgiving is Thanks-living.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Virginia! This book sounds like the one that served as the basis for the article I read. It was in a secular magazine, but I do believe the author had also read "One Thousand Gifts" and was endeavoring to change her own life to one of ongoing Thanksgiving. :)

      I appreciate your sharing -- and I hope you'll "join" my blog and become a regular visitor! :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! :)