Monday, December 3, 2012

Mom’s Christmas Fudge



Bless her heart! Every year since I've had memories, my mother has made THE most delicious chocolate fudge (and peanut butter, too) at Christmastime.

It remains the standard by which I judge all fudge, worldwide. :) Honestly, you just cannot image how good this stuff is! I truly cherish each piece, each bite. And of course, the dear lady who makes it.

Given Mom's declining health and the amount of work it evidently takes to make fudge, I never really "expect" it any more. But oh my, what a glorious surprise when Mom delivers a "tower o' fudge" just in time for the holidays! This year she even adorned it with beautiful Christmas ribbon, all tied up so professionally!

I know that creating candy requires stirring – sometimes, lots of stirring – and given that Mom has sadly broken both of her arms in recent years (she’s really, really prone to breakage), having to stir up this stuff truly is a labor of love for her. It hurts her.

Mom holds herself to a very high standard of quality; one year, the entire batch didn’t suit her (“too grainy,” she said) and she threw it all out!! The horror! She dispatched poor Dad to the Winn-Dixie store for more ingredients, and she created a new and better product. That’s Mom. “Good enough” is never good enough.

The ingredients are simple, but there’s no substitute for plain old expertise … she’s made this stuff at least since the 1950s. And of course, the “extra” ingredient is always love. She stirs in a healthy amount, I assure you. Mom and I don’t always agree, both of us being strong-willed people. But so far fudge has healed wounds and mended broken fences during the holiday season. (Maybe it has magic powers!)

My wife and I aren’t the only recipients of Mom’s largesse; others in her life have qualified for a small tin of chocolaty goodness from time to time. But me, being her only offspring, I always get the lion’s share. :)

I ration out the fudge, piece by piece, stretching it to cover the holidays through New Year’s. And I usually save a few pieces and pack them carefully in the freezer. I nibble on them throughout the year. And of course, I always think, “Hey, this could be the last batch of Mom’s famous fudge she ever makes….”

Some year soon, there will be no more fudge. Not decent fudge, anyway. Not from Mom. It’ll just be too much for her. We’ll have to settle for some sort of product from a candy counter somewhere. I shan’t complain, though, because believe me, I have eaten pounds of this stuff so far in my life. I’ve been blessed with fudgy abundance.

But for at least one more joyous holiday season, we have fudge aplenty; our family has three tins of confectionery magic to savor and enjoy. Life is good.
 
Thanks, Mom. Yours is absolutely the very, very, very best ever. Love you. 

The Fudge-maker-in-Chief and her assistant (otherwise known as "Dad")
 

6 comments:

  1. How lovely a post!! It takes me back to my teen years when I was a candymaker. (divinity was my specialty.) I wonder a lot these days about why I gave it up! In fact, I've been trying my hand again at baking, lots of things domesticated, in fact. I think it's like the extra-special dressing your mom put on the candy this year - some of us are thankfully realizing just how special some of these traditions are. That, and the importance of expressing our love with abundance and cheer. Thanks for sharing this. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your insights about your journey, Amanda! :) It's interesting the things we "return to" in adulthood, isn't it?

      My wife's *favorite* homemade candy is divinity -- I wish you'd teach her how to make it!!

      Delete
  2. My mom makes lots of holiday goodies too! Our family favorite is what we call an apple sauce cake. It is an amazing spice-y cake with pecans and a wonderful glaze with orange zest and coconut instead of icing! My grandmother made it when she was alive but now my mom is the only one who makes it. Her brothers and all my cousins love it when she brings it to our annual family reunion right before Thanksgiving. My goal is to get her to teach me how to make it. Even though I have the recipe I know it won't turn out right unless I learn how to do it with her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know that cake! Tanya's Mom & Grandmother used to make it around the holidays! Her family and your family were geographically only about 90 miles apart, so it's easily possible that we're talking about the same recipe. It was incredibly moist and VERY very good. Please, for the sake of your wonderful children, learn from your Mom how to make that cake!! ;)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing...treasure and enjoy each and every bite. My Mom was a fabulous Fruit Cake maker. I know! NO ONE makes good fruit cake. My Mom made the BEST. It was soft and moist and never the rocks you want to throw out. It's been 12 years since I've had that fruit cake and I can still taste it at Christmas time...wish I would have known that that last bite really was the last.

    Merry Christmas Robert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, bless your lil' heart! Fruitcake gets an undeservedly bad rep because (in my opinion) most of them are SO bad! But, when you come across a truly GOOD fruitcake, it's like little slices of heaven! :)))

      Eons ago, my parents would make a dozen or so in two sizes, for entertaining and gift-giving. They would do this in October (!!), wrap them in cheesecloth (does anybody even know what that is anymore?) soak them in something like orange juice, and store them 'til Christmastime in a dark, cool place.

      Those were AWEsome fruitcakes! :))) And I'm betting your mom's were something similar!

      Isn't it interesting the things we remember from our "earlier" years?! ;) Thank you so much for sharing about that treasured fruitcake -- and Merry Christmas to your lovely clan, Candyce!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! :)