Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Real Gem of a Program



I’m not particularly a fan of “popular media” (i.e., television, movies, etc.). It’s just my personal opinion, but most everything I see and hear and experience is pretty much garbage. Not worth my time, and definitely not “in line” with my personal beliefs and values.

But every now and then, thankfully, there are exceptions!

You may or may not have heard of “Duck Dynasty,” since not everyone in America has cable television or satellite service (it’s not on a “broadcast” network, if you’re old enough to understand the difference!). I thought at first it was a relatively-unknown little “jewel” floating in a sea of crud (see my earlier post about the vast wasteland of television!).

I can’t recall exactly how I first came across it last autumn (probably surfing for the least-objectionable program on at the time!) but I was instantly intrigued. Anything with camo draws my immediate attention, especially if it’s my preferred pattern (Realtree® AP, for the record). And everybody onscreen at the time was wearing camo! :)

Seriously, it was the redneck humor that caused me to linger a moment. And I then settled in to enjoy the rest of the episode.

And that’s about all it took – “Duck Dynasty” became one of my favorite shows!

Yes, at first glance, the show is pretty much just the real-life saga (sort of) of a bunch of Louisiana country boys and their long-suffering wives. And kids. And townspeople. Pretty much just like the folks next door, at least around here. But I’m sure across this great nation the “Duck guys” are regarded as idiotic novelties!

But the appeal of this program goes way beyond the humor and comical situations in which our heroes find themselves. Way cool.

One of the first things I noticed is what wasn’t part of the program: it didn’t include any foul language nor any references to anything “objectionable” whatsoever. Astounding! The show portrayed older generations of the Robertson firmly and appropriately instructing younger generations on proper moral behavior and life lessons in general. And at the end of the program? After all of the comical and/or “tragic” situations were resolved? The entire family gathered the dinner table (imagine that!) and prayed and gave thanks for the meal.

I was floored! We just don’t see this kind of “family values” stuff on television very often at all, right? How refreshing!

These buffoonish, seemingly-lazy “rednecks” (and that is NOT a derogatory term in their world, by the way) drew me in with their clownish behavior, and then subtly and deftly worked in a little plug for their faith …which happens to be perfectly aligned with my own religious beliefs!

Very clever. Clever, indeed!

I showed my wife a “Duck Dynasty” scene or two (honestly, she wasn’t terribly enthusiastic at first) and she, too, quickly became interested in the goings-on of the Robertson family. I started recording episodes on the DVR, and soon we were watching “Duck Dynasty” together!

My intention here is not to try to explain to you what the program is all about. There are heaps of Web sites that do that, including several from the Robertson family themselves. Just Google “Duck Commander” (the name of the family business) or “Duck Dynasty” and you’ll see lots of cool stuff.

I’m blogging about “Duck Dynasty” in order to comment on the clever and effective way the Robertsons share their religious convictions with us. It’s subtle, but it works beautifully! When you read their writings about the program (and I hope you will) you’ll discover that the motivation for just about everything the family does is the sharing of their love of Jesus. Wow!

It’s not overt, it’s not loud, it’s not “in your face” or anything of the sort. It’s a simple “display” of what the Robertsons hold dear: their individual relationships with their Savior. They make no pretense about their priorities being anything other than faith first and foremost, then family, and then duck hunting! Haha!

I love it when believers share their Christianity through their actions rather than preaching. Living your faith rather than talking about it can be a very, very effective way to witness. That approach can motivate non-believers to sometimes ask, “Why are you so happy and content with your life? What do you know that I don’t?” Perfect. Love it!

I was thrilled in December when the “Duck Dynasty” season finale garnered the highest ratings of any program, ever, on the A&E Network! Wow! I certainly can’t determine any results of the Robertsons reaching so many people as they espoused their beliefs, but I’m confident that the millions who watched at least now know a little something about honest family relationships and a love for Jesus!

Not that the “Duck Dudes” need me to endorse their program, but I’m happy to do just that: If you’ve not watched, please, give it a try. (Repeats are running a couple of nights each week on A&E, and new episodes are scheduled to run starting in March of 2013.) It’s of course entertaining but it’s unique and refreshing as well. Get past the camouflage and silliness of the guys handcrafting those duck calls and I can promise you that you’ll find a real gem of a program. It might even make you long to be a “redneck” yourself! ;)

1 comment:

  1. i remember it still...hubby was watching football so i was nose-deep in a magazine...till the first dd previews aired. there's no resisting! those guys are magnetic and we know very well the source of their Power! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! :)